International Commodity Bodies
The Common Fund constitution envisions a close operational partnership with International Commodity Bodies (ICBs) to advance commodity sector development in member countries and policy advocacy in the international fora. ICBs facilitate identification of common interest in commody sector developmetn among producers and consumers, and provide technical expertise in recommending suitable projects for CFC financing.
ICBs, in particular, provide essential expertise and data essential in project identification and appraisal on the commodities within their mandate. The role of ICBs in the project cycle comprises initiation, endorsement and submission of project proposals and supervision of approved projects. The Common Fund acts proactively in close co-operation with ICBs to encourage them to incorporate value chain approach and poverty reduction in their Commodity Strategies. ICBs should make every effort to implement the programme of activities of their respective commodities in the FYAP in an efficient and effective manner.
The CFC and ICBs hold annual meetings where the priority matters of cooperation and joint actions are discussed. The most recent, 18th CFC-ICB meeting took place in Lisbon, Portugal, in April 2011.
Earlier meetings took place:
The next 19th annual CFC-ICB Meeting would be held on 31 May 2012, and will be hosted by the Food and Agriculture Organization at its Headquarters in FAO, Rome
Below are links to ICB partner sites and FAO intergovernmental commodity groups.
- The International Cocoa Organization (ICCO)
- The International Coffee Organization (ICO)
- The International Copper Study Group (ICSG)
- The International Cotton Advisory Committee (ICAC)
- The International Grains Council (IGC)
- The International Jute Study Group (IJSG)
- The International Lead and Zinc Study Group (LZSG)
- The International Network for Bamboo & Rattan (INBAR)
- The International Nickel Study Group (INSG)
- The International Olive Council (IOC)
- The International Rubber Study Group (IRSG)
- The International Sugar Organization (ISO)
- The International Tropical Timber Organization (ITTO)
- FAO - Intergovernmental Sub-Group on Bananas
- FAO - Intergovernmental Group on Citrus Fruit
- FAO - Intergovernmental Sub-Committee on Fish Trade
- FAO - Intergovernmental Group on Grains
- FAO - Intergovernmental Group on Hard Fibres
- FAO - Intergovernmental Sub-Group on Hides and Skins
- FAO - Intergovernmental Group on Meat
- FAO - Intergovernmental Group on Oilseeds, Oils and Fats
- FAO - Intergovernmental Group on Rice
- FAO - Intergovernmental Group on Tea
- FAO - Intergovernmental Sub-Group on Tropical Fruits